Have you thought about how much time you are willing to spend sifting through your own Email? If you have, you know that you have a very short window of opportunity to capture your reader’s interest.
- Keep your subject line to about 60 characters. Short and sweet! Include topic and possibly the issue if it’s a series.
- Consider that the key calls to action should be present in the top 2 to 4 inches or top 300 pixels of the email (above the fold) — that is the average size of preview panes in email clients.
- Personalize the emails — your email service provider should allow you tools to do this easily.
- Keep your content clear, concise and well written (always proofread!)
- Use a strong call to action.
- Use lots of white space — eyes tire faster reading from a computer monitor than a printed piece.
- Use a standard font size — going smaller to fit more content is not a good idea if it dissuades the subscriber from reading the article.
- Use links strategically and make them one click that goes straight to the intended destination.
- Always perform quality assurance on your HTML before sending the campaign.
As mentioned in a previous article, “What You Should Know About Boosting Your Brand with Email Marketing”, not every email client deciphers HTML design in the same way. Email clients are much more sensitive about rendering HTML than web browsers are for rendering web pages. Your email campaign may look great when you open it in your Outlook account but that doesn’t mean it looks the same for someone using GMail. That is why it’s important to go with an Email Service Provider who will allow you to test it BEFORE sending! At Original Ginger we have professional designers who can take this worry from your shoulders……. we design your branded templates, and you are able to test not only design but also check your content against spam filters.
This is just one article in a series on Email Marketing and small business. At Original Ginger, Email Marketing is part of what we do. We’re happy to provide these services for you. Give us a call at 778.298.1966.
Subscribe to our newsletter so the next article in the series reaches your inbox.
Original Ginger is a Digital Agency located in the heart of historic Fort Langley, a hip and artistic suburb of Vancouver BC.