Facebook’s new timeline has lots of great new features for business pages. Two of those new features are pinned and highlighted posts.
Facebook Timeline – Pinned Posts
We all know that as you post, and others engage and comment on those posts, that the information gets moved down the page and bumped by the latest news. But what if you had information you wanted to keep at the top of the page for some reason? Well, now there is a way to do that:
- Hover over the top right corner of the post you want to pin
- An option will appear with a star and a pencil. Select the pencil.
- Click on pin to top
- This post will now be pinned to the top left corner of your timeline for the next 7 days before returning to it’s chronological place in the timeline
NOTE: You cannot pin anyone’s posts but your own. You must be an Admin of the page to pin a post. You can only pin one post at a time.
We recommend you not use the pinning feature unless the information you are sharing is really really important. Most Facebook users are interested in fresh new information to engage with on a daily basis. Monitor how much engagement you are getting from your pinned post and then determine if it should stay pinned or not.
Facebook Timeline – Highlighted Posts
When you want to highlight a particular post so it stands out for your page visitors, you can now highlight it by expanding it to full width.
- Hover over the top right corner of the post you want to highlight.
- An option will appear with a star and a pencil. Select the star.
- Your post will automatically enlarge to full width
This article is part of a series written about Facebook and how you can use it effectively for your business. Future articles will include pointers on how to brand the favourites boxes below your cover image, which apps could be beneficial, managing posts, and a whole lot more of the new Facebook Timeline Features.
Interested in more articles from ‘Fresh Ginger’? Subscribe now to receive more topics of interest delivered straight to your inbox. Don’t have time to take care of this yourself? Call us at 778.800.9667.
Original Ginger is a Digital Agency located in the heart of historic Fort Langley, a hip and artistic suburb of Vancouver BC.